The learning goals of
the course are to:
- Review best practices in building and implementing
balanced scorecards & KPIs, strategic management systems,
the system to encompass all organisational tiers and operations,
- Employing change management to sustain the system,
facilitation and coaching skills that will be useful in your
Who Should Attend & Why
course is designed for people who have responsibility for developing,
implementing and maintaining scorecards, and other performance management
Typical attendees include those with
responsibilities for implementing and/or maintaining the management
system; developing appropriate performance measures; selecting software
tools; cascading scorecards to lower tiers in the organisation;
evaluating or reporting strategic and operational performance data;
and/or improving resource allocation decision making.
5 day course is an intensive amalgamation of courses Course 301
(Introduction to the Balanced Scorecard) and Course 401 (Advanced
The course is followed by a one hour multiple
choice examination to achieve professional certification.
Taught as a hands-on workshop using interactive lectures,
practical examples, case studies, shared participant experiences, and
This course covers the entire
range of balanced scorecard topics - organisation development, change
management and communications planning, strategic planning, KPI
development, strategy mapping, performance measures and target setting,
strategic initiative prioritisation, automation, cascading, and
strategic management - in one week. Fully consistent with basic balanced
scorecard concepts & terminology developed by Kaplan & Norton,
the course covers scorecard development in business, government, and
non-profit organisations. Participants get hands-on practice using a
simple, step-by-step process for developing a scorecard system on their
Module 1: Evaluation to Assessment
- Best practices related to Steps Nine and One of the Nine Steps to Success.
Module 2: Advanced Strategic Foundations Development
- How to analyze, identify and correct poor strategic foundation design and migrating from other planning models to the balanced scorecard.
Module 3: Advanced Objective & Strategy Map Development
- Strategic Objective & Strategy Map Best Practices.
Module 4: Advanced Performance Management – Measure What Matters
- How to use several frameworks, such as the Logic Model, the Decision Model and the Critical Question model to develop a family of potential measurements for each objective.
Module 5: Measurement Definition, Implementation & Visualisation
- Advanced performance measurement definition, implementation & visualisation.
Module 6: Strategic Initiative Prioritization & Management
- Advanced strategic initiative prioritization techniques & project management primer.
Module 7: Advanced Scorecard Alignment & Cascading
- How to build organisational alignment through advanced cascading techniques.
Module 8: Managing & Sustaining a Balanced Scorecard
- Day-to-day management and budgeting with a Balanced Scorecard.